Ten ways to improve your technology skills
How to improve your technology skills for the world we find ourselves in
The world changed overnight and forced us to isolate. This impacted us in different ways, depending on our work and life scenarios. We have all realised that improving our technology and digital skills can help us better navigate this new world we find ourselves in.
We own digital tools. Our computers, smart phones and tablets. Smart technology has certainly made it easy to navigate. We learn new skills in different ways.
- Use a manual or instruction on Google or You-tube and self-learn.
- Ask a family member to guide you- often frustrating due to generational differences.
- Use a coach and work systematically through the process you are trying to conquer.
- Attend a class to understand the concept or skill and then go and practice.
Our fears or lack of knowledge can be frustrating and challenging. These skills are new for many of us and not growing up with technology can be frustrating. The media often feed us enough to convince us not to try. Being empowered and making your own decision is a much better strategy.
Here are ten ideas to try:
- Look for podcasts in your area of interest to listen to.
- Download books on Audible.
- Use a platform like Zoom to engage with family and friends.
- Join a workshop online in your area of interest.
- Chat to your grandchildren.
- Do all your banking, buying and paying of accounts online.
- Start a blog
- Join an online church service
- Learn remote skills to work from home
- Build a business and develop your online presence using social media.
The lists are endless. The challenge is once you know how, so many new opportunities will emerge.
Staying relevant and connected is critical as we age. Technology has shifted the world we live in. The pandemic has forced us indoors. A perfect time to learn these new skills and open new and exciting opportunities.
At 50plus-skills we help our members to learn, serve and earn and many of these skills are learnt collectively through our online events. You are welcome to connect with us if you would like to become a member or need coaching. www.50plus-skills.co.za